Tuesday, August 5, 2008

New Study Plan

I'm sorry for the big gap in posts. I've been thinking seriously about how I want to approach my scripture study and how I can really gain the most from it.

There are three things I wish to accomplish from my scripture study:

1 - Motivate myself to change
2 - Gain factual knowledge
3 - Gain faith in the gospel

I have realized that my current study plan is mostly focused on number 2, and numbers 1 and 3 are only a by-product. I would like to change my study plan so it helps me achieve all three goals.

After pondering it, I've decided my scripture study needs to include the following things to help me achieve all three by products from my scripture study.

1- Invite the spirit
2- A quiet environment
3- Beginning with a prayer
4- Focusing on personal application
5- Writing down what I have learned
6- A humble, teachable attitude
7- A regular time each day to study
8- Flexibility so I can work around family needs
9- Quantifying what I have learned such that I could share it with others

So, from now on my entries are going to be very different. Rather than sticking with the lesson plan from Doctrines of the Gospel, I am going to find something to read each day that pertains to things going on now in my life. This could include any of the standard works, general conference addresses, articles from church magazines, or books on church doctrine.

I will then write up a semi-personal application to share on this blog. If someday I actually have anyone reading this blog, I'd love to encourage comments and discussion based on the entries.

So, we'll see where it goes from here...

No comments: