Monday, June 2, 2008

Chapter 3: God the Eternal Father, E: The Father Presides Over the Godhead

The Godhead comprises the The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost. The Father presides over the Godhead, like a president over his presidency.
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
Article of Faith 1

[Christ speaking.] Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

Know ye not that [Christ] was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.
2 Nephi 31:7
The Godhead is made up of three separate physical beings. Each being is a totally separate person physically and spiritually.
The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not well in us.
D&C 130:22

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Matthew 3:16-17

But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
Acts 7:55-56

Three glorified, exalted, and perfected personages comprise the Godhead or supreme presidency of the univers. . . . They are: God the Father; God the Son; God the Holy Ghost. . . . Though each God in the Godhead is a personage, separate and distince from eacy of the others, yet they are 'one God' . . ., meaning that they are united as one in the attributes of perfection. For instance, each ahs the fulness of truth, knowledge, charity, power, justice, judgment, mercy, and faith. Accordingly they all think, act, speak, and are alike in all things; and yet they are three separate and distinct entities. Each occupies space andis and can be in but one place at one time, but each has power and influence everywhere present.
McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 319
The Godhead is one in purpose. They are one presidency, with one mission, and act as one in all things. We must understand that they are one in purpose so that we do not get confused about who to worship, or who to listen to on one thing versus another. They are three beings separate united as one as a presidency, united more perfectly than any presidency ever in this church.
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; Thaty they all may be one; as thou, Father art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.
John 17:20-22

I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was crucified for the sins of the world, even as many as will believe on my name, that they may become the sons of God, even one in me as I am one in the Father, as the Father is one in me, that we may be one.
D&C 35:2

And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one.
3 Nephi 11:27

There is a oneness in the Godhead as well as a distinctness of personality. This oneness is emphasized in the sayings and writing of prophets and apostles in order to guard against the erroneous idea that these three may be distinct and independent dieties and rivals for our worship.
Joseph F. Smith, "Answers to Questions," Improvement Era, Jan 1901, 228

No comments: